WHEN TO GO.
JUNE THROUGH FEBRUARY.
Karibu Mount Kilimanjaro, this trailhead attacks the mountain from the rainforest. After the Barranco the terrain stretches more south before summiting. The descent is done via the Mweka route. Umbwe is mostly short, steep and tough terrain, due to the fast ascent to high altitude, the route does not offer much acclimatization. Perhaps, this route should only be attempted by those who are physically fit for higher altitudes. This route still offers the natural habitat of Mount Kilimanjaro. The success rate to the summit is understandably low compared to other routes.
UKilimanjaro International Airport / Arusha.
Umbwe Gate to Umbwe Camp 2940 meters
– Elevation: 1800m to 2940m
– Hiking Time: 5-7 hours
– Habitat: Montane forest
After an early breakfast at your hotel in Arusha, you will be picked up and driven to the Umbwe Gate. The head guide will finalize all paperwork. After organizing, our first ascent will begin along the rainforest. There is a probability of rain showers, please carry a rain jacket with you. Your support crew will have prepared the camp and dinner before your arrival. Mountain temperatures often drop to freezing. Please be prepared with sufficient clothing.
For the first night in this elevation, we advise that you follow the climbing rules:
– Do not consume any alcohol and minimize your caffeine intake
– Drink enough water, at least 4 liters a day, take in small amounts frequently
– We encourage our clients to use Diamox in the mornings prior to the day’s climb, this reduces altitude sickness symptoms. Consult your doctor prior to your travel to Tanzania.
– We encourage you to follow the advice of your guides. If any altitude sickness symptoms occur, please consult your guide immediately!
Umbwe Camp to Barranco Camp
– Elevation: 2,940m to 3,950m
– Hiking Time: 6 hours
– Habitat: Moorland
After an early morning breakfast, you will start a hike towards the moorland vegetation. A great habitat to witness exotic plants like the giant lobelia and groundsel. The summit and the valley below the trek will continue past the Barranco Valley and then entering Barranco Camp for your overnight stay.
-Dinner and overnight stay at Baranco Camp 3950m
Barranco Camp 3950m –Arrow Glacier 4800m
– Elevation: 3950 -4800m- 3,100m
– Hiking Time: 5 hours to Arrow glacier.
– Distance: kilometer
Arrow Glacier 4800 meters to Crater 5700 meters
– Elevation: 4,800m to 5,700m
– Hiking Time: 5 hours
– Habitat: Stone scree and ice-capped Glacier
After an early breakfast, you will setoff on a rocky trail. In the rain season, an ice ax and crampons are required for trekking the way. Adventurers will keep strive up the Western Breach to the Crater 5700 meters. Upon your arrival on the rim of the crater, you will be amazed by the ice fields of the Kilimanjaro. At the campsite, you have the option of completing a day hike to the infamous Ash Pit. The ash pit is 340 meters in diameter and 120 meters deep. After hiking you will celebrate with a warm dinner and be one of the few and fortunate hikers to stay at the inner, snow-covered crater of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Summit Attempts: Crater 5700 meters, Uhuru Peak 5895 meters, Mweka 3100 meters
• Hiking time: 2 hours to Uhuru and 7-8 hours to Mweka
• Distance: Approximately 7 kilometer ascent and 23 kilometer descent
• Habitat: Stone scree and ice-capped summit
Your guide will wake you around 04:00am for tea and biscuits. You will then begin your summit attempt. During the ascent, many hikers feel that this is the most mentally and physically challenging part of the climb. For about 2 hours, you will hike on a snow-covered trail to Uhuru Peak 5895 meters. Reaching the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro is a lifetime accomplishment! You will be able to spend a short time on the summit taking photographs and drinking tea before the descent to Barafu begins. The hike down to Barafu Camp takes about 3 hours.
At camp, you will rest and enjoy a hot lunch in the sun. After eating, you will continue descending down to Mweka Hut 3100 meters. The Mweka Trail will lead you to the moorland and eventually into the rain forest. Mweka Camp 3100 meters is located in the upper rain forest, so fog and rain should be expected. You will have dinner, wash, and rest soundly at camp.
Mweka Camp 3100 meters, Mweka Gate 1980 meters
– Elevation: 3,100 meters to 1,980 meters
– Hiking Duration: 3 hours
– Distance: 15 kilometers
– Habitat: Forest
Following a well-deserved breakfast, you will descend for three hours to Mweka Gate. The National Park requires all hikers to sign their names to receive certificates of completion. Adventures who’ve reached Stella Point 5685 meters, will receive green certificates. Those who accomplished Uhuru Peak 5895 meters earn gold certificates. After the exiting formalities, you will be driven to Arusha for refreshing showers, lunch and overstay.
- PRICE FROM: $2,440pps
- Government Taxes
- All National Park entrance fees
- Clean, purified drinking water
- Overnight stay at hotel as per itinerary
- Guide, porter and cook salaries (not including gratuity)
- Crisis management and safety procedures. Rescue fees.
- All three meals a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner while on mountain.
- All transfers mentioned above, upon your arrival and departure from Kilimanjaro International Airport or Arusha domestic airport.
- All Personal Items (Example toiletries, cameras)
- Excursions and activities not listed in the itinerary